Skip to main content

COOKING WITHOUT PLASTIC - 10 TIPS FOR YOU


It's been nearly eight months since I started to think about our blue planet . I remained faithful to my decision at that time and still work to be a better person every day than the day before. I have not eaten any meat since the end of August 2016, so for a good eight months, although I only wanted to try it temporarily. I have drastically rethought my consumption patterns, hardly buy one, reject a lot of PR gifts, and start shopping second hand. I still pay attention to the use of less plastic, use packaging made of linen and paper, use packaging several times and have also changed my kitchen (almost) completely - free of plastic. Because this is a topic that is very important to me,

 Cooking without plastic

 I gave you my 10 reasons why, for the sake of the environment, I can do without plastic as much as I can, and why I try to avoid plastic, especially with regard to food and food preparation. For me, this is reason enough to largely forgo plastic.

No, I can not make it completely yet. Every now and then I forget my water bottle and have to go back to plastic. Besides, I still buy some food in plastic packaging, and I only take it back to my storage glass at home. Nevertheless, I try to implement the project "cooking without plastic" and to make my kitchen plastic-free step by step. Because there are so many reasons that speak against plastic and it is particularly important to me that I do not connect my food to the plastic when it is heated. As I am, or my tips for cooking without plastic I do not like you.


One thing that I really go through very consistently. Since I've decided eight months ago to do so, I've been using plastic as much as I can to avoid exactly three times - and that's only a heavy heart. It does not hurt me if I pack a stuffing bag or take products simply without baggage. Most of the time, I have a big bag, into which anyway much more than one thinks. To the vegetable shopping at the weekly market we always go with a large cart and some paper and fabric bags, so that we can give everything directly to the hand and do not need plastic. In the supermarket I weigh off whether I prefer to pack vegetables, buy organic and / or from Austria, or unpacked from Egypt. You have to think about that yourself. I always try to be biological,

Wooden and metal instead of plastic spoons
Most of the time, when cooking without plastic, I place emphasis on the fact that plastic does not come into contact with heat or with my hot food. Plastic spoons for stirring in the hot pan or in the cooking pot are therefore a no-go. I use wood or metal spoons instead. I have heard from many sides that they find spoons of wood disgusting - but this, like most things in life, is just a habit.

Drink bottle or to-go-cup
Also a very banal step, but you can save insane plastic and money. Simply bring your own water bottle and replenish with water and have coffee or tea in your own to-go cup. Previously I liked to refill my plastic bottles again, which I am today synonymous not make and not rate. It saves plastic in the production, but every new refill of your plastic bottle releases further carcinogenic substances, such as DEHP, and get into your body. In addition to the release of chemicals, small cracks form in which bacteria can settle. The exposure to the bacteria is even more dangerous than the chemicals themselves.

Compostable dog packer
Something that only dog ​​owners have to deal with. I felt bad when I realized how much garbage I was producing alone by Pippas Gackisackerl. Since then, I've been using biodegradable packagings, which are a lot more expensive than the usual ones, but they are much more environmentally friendly. Even if these compostable Gackisackerl always fall into disrepute they are in any case the better alternative.

Glass containers for freezing and as a lunchbox
I use as a lunchbox both a stainless steel box, as well as glass containers (which I also use for freezing at home). My stainless steel box I bought at Lunzers Maß-Greißlerei in Vienna. It is perfect for firmer snack, vegetable sticks and spreads. For more liquid snacks (such as noodles with tomato sauce) I prefer to use tightly closed glass containers, because they are more leak-proof. I am most important with my glass containers that the food does not come with plastic. So if the lid (in some distance to the can) or the seal is plastic, is of course bad in the production, but disturbed me in the consumption of my food but less. It would be worse if the food is always in contact with plastic, for example with plastic cans.

Glass container or paper - instead of the clear film
I do not use any more clear film. If I want to pack something air-tight, I put it either in a glass container or in a paper bag, which I close with clips (yes, plastic, but reusable).


Store in larger quantities and freeze if necessary
It is no secret that one saves packaging (and thus in many cases plastic) when one buys in larger quantities. For example, if I buy a larger piece of cheese instead of three smaller, individually packaged, I save a lot of packaging material. Nearly every food can be frozen very well in the raw state or in the processed state. If you have enough space to freeze, I would always prefer this variant. 

 Powder detergent instead of individually packed tabs or plastic bottles
The most ecologically sensible option would be to produce detergents (for example, from chestnuts). However, if you, like myself, lack both time and energy for this project, I recommend using powdered detergents from the carton. Here you save not only money, but above all (plastic) packaging. We have both detergent for the washing machine and for the dishwasher only in this variant at home and so save some plastic bottles and packaging material a year.

Unpacked supermarkets and paper packaging
For those of you who live in a big city, Unpacked Supermarkets are certainly a good choice. I have been to some times in such a time and am thrilled every time. For me, it is still unimaginable, because I live an hour from the next unpacked shop and thus always with the car and my preserving jars would have to drive extra. Instead, I go back to paper packaging whenever I can. Semolina, polenta, all kinds of cereals, pasta, etc. there is almost always also in a paper variant - which I usually buy. I still fill my grain into a preserving jar. Not only because it looks nicer and I have a better overview, but mainly because I have not had a single food moth at home since I kept my grain.

Wooden cutting boards
What I have been using for a long time are wooden cutting boards instead of plastic. I could never start with plastic cutting boards, since these usually absorb very quickly odors. The alternatives from wood (I have the most favorite olive wood) are usually somewhat more expensive, but they also last forever - and when cutting, do not remove small plastic particles from the board, which then immortalize themselves in the food.

Do not press too hard!
The last point is probably the most important. One reads so much about the negative effects of plastic that one can quickly go mad. If for the first time you begin to get closer to plastic, you want to do everything right from the beginning. I can tell you something - you will not make it anyway. Sounds hard, but it helps immensely, simply not to make itself so ready. Every step you make and make is important and right. Do not be bothered by various plastic missionaries and missionaries in any Facebook groups. Anything you create or abolish and any piece of plastic you can avoid or replace is important. You are on the right track - do not let the negativity of some of you take the joy and motivation on the whole whole! There will always be setbacks and no one can make everything 100% right from the start. Never forget!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to become a plus-size woman at bikini sizes can despair

The shopping of bikinis - beyond a dress size of 36 - often offers conflict potential. Plus-Size-Blogger Aliss shows on Instagram the entire bikini truth. We all know this: there you are in the locker room and is frustrated. Nothing sits as it should be. And if we suddenly have to reach a 40 instead of a clothes size 38, then the day has run almost. The shopping of bikinis offers there even more pitfalls. 

Green Tea for healthy hair

My Friend, our recipient of the Green Tea Shampoo and conditioner from O'Right, has tested and reported the care kit for beautiful hair for you.

Winter fat? Not this year!

In autumn and winter, grape harvesting is simply a part of it.  Enjoy them!   Because with a few simple tricks, you can make sure that nothing is noticed on the scales Change the focus Sounds bizarre, but it is like this: If you do not always   think about   losing weight   , it is easier to keep your weight.   Because if the thoughts constantly around the lack or "may I not circling", one gets more and more   appetite for the things   one wants to squeeze.   The good news: According to a study by the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences, a varied diet is much more successful than with a strict diet.   So focus your thoughts on the "more": more vegetables, more fruit ... Eat two apples daily  This is now advised by   nutritionists   from Pennsylvania University of Pennsylvania.   They even claim that you can take   up to five kilos a month   with   two apples a day   .   The promise sounds a bit high, but to hold our weight is the   fruit but now